Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene Quilt


Saturday morning I was looking at some quilting blogs, like I do on so many mornings, and came across a quilt I really wanted to make. They were predicting that we would get hit pretty hard with Hurricane Irene. I thought it would be nice to make something this weekend to commemorate the hurricane.


When I saw this quilt I knew immediately that I wanted to make one. I first saw it at In Color Order where Jeni had it posted as one of her favorites of the week.  Today I thought I should find where the quilt originated from so I could give the proper credit. The quilt inspiration and tutorial can be found here at Jenn Of All Trades.  Since I did not find the tutorial until today I did it my own way.

lightning 2.0

Yesterday afternoon I proceeded to make mine figuring it out myself. I had the top and back finished in about 2 1/2 hours.
 The way I made mine was to sew together a 6 inch strip of white to a 2 1/2 inch strip of orange. Then I took my 6 1/2 inch square ruler and skewed it to cut a block. I turned the ruler a little different each cut so the blocks are not exactly the same.


I had 48 blocks. I wanted the quilt to be square. I did not feel like getting the fabric out and cutting again to make 1 more block so the quilt could be 7 x 7 blocks. Therefore the quilt is just 6 x 6 blocks and I put the left over blocks on the back.

Here it is loaded on the longarm ready to be quilted.


I finished quilting it last evening and put the binding on today. The whole quilt was done during Hurricane Irene. We didn't get hit as bad by the hurricane as we thought we would. We did end up getting about 12 inches of rain. The winds were at its worst from about 4AM to 7AM. We do know a lot of people without power, but fortunately we never lost ours.  Now the sun is out and it is a beautiful day. The top picture was just taken outside.


10 comments:

Kristi said...

LOVE IT!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT TOO!

Linda said...

That's perfect! Great idea!!!

Toni said...

Love it! How fun to have a hurricane quilt! Glad to hear you didn't get too hard by Irene!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a neat quilt! The colors are perfect and I am glad you didn't get it too bad from Irene.

Go-Go Kim said...

Great quilt!!!!!!

Laura said...

ha, it's funny ... I was just thinking today that I get so much quilting done when I have off from school due to snow ... and now I have quilting done b/c I'm off from school b/c of Irene. Storms can be a great time to get sewing in! =)

Miranda said...

It looks great! I came over from Quiltstory :)

Seams Sew Together said...

Love the quilting!

dane said...

très beau un bien joli travail jolie réalisation a bientôt biz